Research Program Contributions
Specific projects currently being conducted at Plainsman
Research Center include:
- Russian Wheat Aphid (RWA) Studies - a major problem
for wheat production in Colorado, infestation with this insect
has been a serious problem only since 1985. Field experiments
are evaluating the following aspects of this problem:
- Crop rotation and cattle grazing on RWA populations and other
- Economic injury level of RWA in relation to climate and resistant
and non-resistant wheat varieties.
- Gaucho-treated seed of spring wheat and barley as RWA control.
- Wheat nursery with hundreds of lines of wheat are evaluated
for seed yield and resistance to RWA.
Studies related to the RWA project are conducted by Thia Walker,
Regional RWA Entomologist, and Dr.
James Quick, CSU Wheat Breeder, as well as staff from the
crops testing programs.
- Wheat Forage and Grain Yield - determine forage and
grain yields from large varietal wheat strips.
- Limited Irrigation on Corn and Grain Sorghum - hybrids
of corn and sorghum are grown under surge furrow irrigation with
one pre-irrigation and one in-season irrigation at silking or
flowering. Limited irrigation under Low Energy Precision Application
(LEPA) sprinkler is also being evaluated.
- Crop Rotation Systems - commonly used rotation systems
are studied under limited tillage (wheat-fallow, wheat-sorghum-fallow,
continuous grain sorghum) with crop yield and water use being
- Sorghum Grain and Forage Variety Trials - replicated
studies of potential hybrids are evaluated for yield, maturity
date, plant height, and other agronomic factors under dryland
and irrigated conditions.
- Fertilizer Studies on Grain Sorghum and Wheat - rates
of N, P, and Zn are tested for maximum economic yield.
- Herbicide Efficacy Studies - herbicides are evaluated
for effectiveness in controlling the normal weed complexes in
grain sorghum, wheat, corn, and alternative crops.
- Soil Crusting Alleviation - nonionic surfactants are
applied to abate soil crusting in grain sorghum fields.
- Ripping and Chemical Soil Conditioners - ripping and
chemical soil conditioners are tested for their relief of soil
- Corn Borer Resistant Corn Hybrids - corn borer resistant
and non- resistant hybrids are monitored for Southwestern Corn
Borer damage under dryland and irrigated conditions. If these
new hybrids are effective, dryland corn may become a viable option
in traditional sorghum areas.
- Sunflower Planting Dates and Insect Evaluation - planting
dates of sunflower are studied for insect timing and infestation
as it affects seed yields.
- Alternative Crops - determine yield potential and
management practices for canola, millets, safflower, various
beans, and others.