In 1952, a ranch consisting of 3,760 acres and now known as the Eastern
Colorado Research Center was purchased by Colorado State University.
At the time of purchase, some 2,960 acres were rangeland in poor to
fair condition while 800 acres were abandoned cropland. This offered
an ideal opportunity for CSU scientists to investigate problems in
management and improvement of range and beef cattle production.
The Eastern Colorado Research Center is located midway between Akron
and Sterling just east of State Highway 63. A sign located along
the highway directs visitors to the headquarters.
Land and Facilities
The present facilities consist of more than 35 fenced pastures of
native and seeded rangeland, 22 feedlot pens with 640 feet of bunkspace,
enclosed working facilities with chute and scales for working and
weighing the livestock.