Home / Research Projects / New/Revised Project Development Process
New/Revised Project Development Process
Steps in initiating a new or revised CAES project:
- Principal Investigator (PI) initiates project following his/her College/Department Approval Process.
- If approved at Department/College level, PI meets with the CAES Director
- If approved by CAES Director, PI completes required forms, and obtains signatures
- PI sends complete proposal (electronic & hardcopy with signatures) to Jan at CAES Director's Office
- Jan checks data and obtains final approval/signatures from the CAES Director
- Jon assigns project number; sets up account(s)
- Jan sends forms to the Research Integrity & Compliance Review Office for their review/approval/signature.
- Jan submits final forms to USDA/CRIS via the CRIS Forms Assistance website
- CRIS reviews/approves project; assigns accession number.
- CRIS returns forms to CAES Director's Office
- Jan updates database; sends approval letter to Associate Dean of Research with copies to Jon, Department Head and PI. Jon contacts department regarding account numbers.
- PI submits progress report on an annual basis (AD-421). CAES sends request to departments in November; due in January. (Requests for reports for USDA grants are sent throughout the year.)
- At the end of the project term, PI has the option to terminate, renew, or extend (1 year only) the project. Process starts over.
If project is denied by USDA/CRIS, appropriate steps are taken to remedy the situation.