Workshop Approval Process
Are you looking to get a workshop approved? You can download the workshop approval form here. The links below will provide the specific information required for a given workshop.
- For the requirements for Online CECs, click here.
- For the requirements of Classroom CECS, click here.
- With any questions regarding approval, contact Jonathan Handy at the Colorado Department of Agriculture by telephone at (303) 239-4178 or by email here.
For information on topics for CEC workshop content, consult the Colorado Pesticide Applicators Act §35-10 Rules and Regulations here.
Listed below are the requirements for Online CECs. Web based workshop sponsors must meet all of the requirements in Part 4 of the Rules and the following requirements specific to on-line CEC course approval.
- Web based course providers must have some form of password protection. The applicator must enter a specific password, issued by the provider, to enter the site and complete the course.
- The CDA will approve commercial category pest management credits only; no core credits will be approved for on-line CEC courses.
- The course must be interactive and require the applicator to remain in the course site for a minimum of 60 minutes.
- The course must administer an exam that covers the subject material and the applicator must pass with a minimum 70% score. Failure to pass the exam should result in the applicator retaking the course or having no credit awarded.
- Exams questions should be scrambled each time an applicator retakes an exam.
- Subject matter and exams should be revised to reflect pest and industry updates, at a minimum, every three years.
- Web based course sponsors must agree to send the name of each applicator participating in the approved course to the CDA no later than 7 days after the conclusion of the course.
- Web based course sponsors must give each applicator some form of confirmation (i.e.: certificate, letter, etc.) of the successful completion of the course for the applicator’s records.
- Web based course sponsors must apply for CEC course renewal each year and submit course changes or new course material(s) no later that July 1 of each year.
Listed Below are the requirements for Classroom CECs.
- A letter from the workshop or seminar sponsor requesting approval for continuing education credits.
- Workshops and seminars should be open to any person holding a Colorado Commercial or Private Applicators License, subject to your space limitations.
- An agenda that includes topics covered, speaker names, and the length of time for each session. The agenda should be as final as possible.
- Brief biographies or credentials of the speakers.
- A brief synopsis or summary of each session to be presented. A synopsis of each session must be submitted. The session title alone is not adequate to meet this requirement.
- The focus of each session should be identified by topic or subject area, according to the attached Continuing Education Requirements, so that appropriate approvals can be made. A topic title alone is not sufficient for evaluation.
- “Core Credit” sessions must be at least thirty (30) minutes in length, although the Department may group topics together in order to meet or exceed the time requirements. "Core Credits" are the seven credits that are required for every applicator such as Laws and Regulations, Applicator Safety, or Use of Pesticides
- “Commercial Applicator Pest Management Credit” sessions must be at least sixty (60) minutes in length, although the Department may group sessions in order to meet or exceed the time requirements. "Pest Management Credits" are those specific to a category such as Agricultural Insect Control, Turf Pest Control, or Fumigation.
- Requests for continuing education credit must be received at least 15 days before the workshop or seminar is to be held.
- Requests for continuing education received at least 60 days before the workshop or seminar is to be held will be included in a memorandum sent to all licensed Qualified Supervisors and Certified Operators.
- Include the name and phone number of a person for licensees to contact who may wish to attend your workshop or seminar. This number will be included in the memorandum referred to above. Include the number of verification forms that you anticipate needing for your seminar or workshop participants. See the attached CEC request form (available here) that provides spaces to document this information. Please resubmit this form with the required documentation.