- Water everything deeply-- perennial beds, trees, shrubs, and lawn-- if
weather has been dry.
- Draw up garden plans now. Try something new this year! Check the catalogs
and scan garden center seed racks. Look for disease-resistant vegetable varieties.
- Decide whether to buy annuals and vegetables from a garden center or to
start your own from seed. Order seeds now, if you are going to start them indoors.
- Cut back to 3 inch stubs Buddleia davidii (the
fall-blooming butterfly bush), Caryopteris candensis (blue-mist spirea), Perovskia
atriplicifolia (Russian sage), and other late summer-blooming shrubs.
- Start pansies indoors from seed in early January.
- Recycle Christmas greens by laying them over perennial beds for winter
Back to Down to Earth in Denver
Back to January
Back to Home